During the holidays, we spend lots of time gathering with friends and family, exchanging gifts, baking treats, and enjoying other seasonal traditions. Amidst all the hustle and bustle, it’s important to make some time to practice gratitude and give back, as the season can be especially difficult for some members of our community and across the globe.
From simple acts of kindness to larger efforts that make a significant impact, there are several ways to give back this holiday season. Whether you volunteer with a local organization, make a financial contribution to a worthy cause, or give a gift to a child in need, your generosity is sure to spread some holiday cheer.
Ways to Give Back This Holiday Season:
- Participate in a holiday-themed race for a good cause
- Take lunches to first responders working during the holidays
- Bake cookies and pass them out to neighbors
- Take needed supplies to your local animal shelter
- Donate extra canned goods and non-perishables to your local food bank
- Put together a care package for troops serving overseas
- Volunteer to serve a holiday meal at a homeless shelter (if COVID guidelines allow)
- Donate new (wrapped!) toys to a children’s hospital
- Donate blood with the American Red Cross
- Purchase items from the wish list of a military family
- Pay for the person behind you in the drive-thru
- Tip extra generously if you eat at a restaurant during the holiday season
- Buy new toys or needed supplies for a low-income family
- Set up a recurring monthly donation to a non-profit organization
- Organize a food drive with your community
- Pack stockings for the homeless, filled with snacks, toiletries, warm gloves and socks
- Create holiday cards to drop off at a senior center
- Make a blanket for someone in need
- Adopt or foster a pet from an animal shelter
- Purchase your holiday gifts from a company that gives back
Together, we can make the world a better place this holiday season — and beyond.