Hilton Head Living in Hilton Head: Lifestyle, Amenities, Employment and More
Welcome to Hilton Head, SC
This island community is beloved for its low-key culture and white sand beaches. Residents spend summer months fishing and soaking up the sun. When winter arrives, Hilton Head residents practice their golf game, enjoy the low season and relax in the moderate winter temperatures. You’ll find residents riding bikes and kayaking any time of year in this active town and since this Southern town caters to tourists several months out of the year, there’s always someplace to eat, shop or play. Real estate options on the island range quite a bit and range from budget-friendly homes to multi-million dollar estates.
Perfect For: Nature Lovers and Beachcombers
Hilton Head residents of all ages keep busy year-round. The local landscape is a beautiful place to swim, run and bike. Boat rentals make it easy to head out to open water to fish or dolphin-watch. There really is something for people of all ages, but the common thread is those who find peace through living near the water. Parents watch their children grow up learning to sail, surf or kayak while on the other hand, retirees can enjoy an active lifestyle filled with events and outdoor adventure. And at the end of the day the beachfront bars and restaurants treat locals and visitors alike to delicious Southern-style seafood and cocktails.
Hilton Head, SC’s Real Estate Market
When it comes to real estate, all potential homebuyers can find a home suitable to their tastes, preferences and price point. Condos account for almost half of the housing market, but single-family homes are readily available as well. There are many more owners than renters here and as a result new residents can expect to find themselves immersed in a very close community.
The majority of Hilton Head’s real estate options were built after 1980 after the area started to take off. As a result, you can find both older and more established homes or newly constructed neighborhoods throughout the island. If you are looking to buy a vacation home, the rental market is very dependable and several property management companies around town are readily available to facilitate renting your home.
Island residents enjoy some of the best beaches in South Carolina and year-round outdoor activities. The healthy lifestyle combined with constant entertainment options has created a perfect environment for young professionals, families and retirees .
From miniature golf courses like Pirate’s Island to the Sandbox, an Interactive Children’s Museum, there is something for all kids and teens to do. For nights out on the town, there is the Jazz Corner, Skull Creek Boathouse and the Lodge Beer and Burger Bar to name a few.
Staying fit and active is as easy as it gets in Hilton Head. Tennis is extremely popular, along with golf, yoga and beachcombing. Hilton Head is famous for its Atlantic coast biking and hiking trails, along with endless local inlets and rivers to explore via kayak. The island’s nature reserves allow visitors to explore untouched flora and fauna. And at Sea Pines Forest Preserves, visitors can explore a 4,000-year-old Indian Shell Ring which are only found in a few remaining spots along the coast.
- Sea Pines
- Palmetto Dunes
- Port Royal Plantation
- Shipyard Plantation
- Forrest Beach
You’ll Enjoy: Endless Fun and Lowcountry Living
Hilton Head has plenty to offer everyone. There’s so much to do here, in fact, we recommend you take a week to experience the best of the island. If you are coming to Hilton Head in order to find your vacation or permanent home, why not make a vacation out of the search. Below is a snapshot of a few activities Hilton Head has to offer:
- Experience pristine, untouched nature. After your morning stroll along the shore, visit Hilton Head’s beautiful nature preserves. A variety of guided tours are available to help you get to know the island via boat or nature trail.
- Lawton Stables at Sea Pine Resort provides the opportunity to horseback ride for a few hours. Younger visitors will love the pony rides and petting zoo.
- Learn more about the local history and culture at the Coastal Discovery Museum. In addition to treating visitors to local tours and historical displays, the museum is surrounded by some of the island’s oldest trees and buildings.
- If you’re like the locals, you can’t get enough of Hilton Head’s gorgeous beaches. Enjoy long days winding down on any of Hilton Head’s beaches. Pack a picnic lunch, plant your umbrella in the sand and sink your toes into the water. We can promise you, this never gets old!
Distinguished Schools in Hilton Head
- Hilton Head Island International Baccalaureate Elementary | Grades K-5 | 30 School Road
- Hilton Head Island Middle | Grades 6-8 | 55 Wilborn Road
- Hilton Head Island High | Grades 9-12 | 70 Wilborn Road
Hilton Head, SC Utilities
- Palmetto Electric Cooperative | Electric
- Hilton Head Public Service District| Water and Sewage
- Comcast | High-Speed Internet
Naturally, tourism is the island’s leading industry. Resorts and hotels employ a large scope of professionals in areas ranging from marketing to accounting, and hospitality to the culinary arts. Hilton Head is also quickly becoming a hub of entrepreneurs who prefer a slowly lifestyle to balance their busy business ventures.
Why Live Here: Going Coastal is the Best Way to Go
Hilton Head residents couldn’t ask for much more. This gorgeous island is home to some of America’s most popular beaches that satisfy tourists year-round, but also serve as home base for Hilton Head’s tightly knit permanent residential community. With a range of employment opportunities due to the hospitality industry and local businesses alike, this is a fantastic place to start your career, raise a family and find a home to spend the rest of your days walking the beautiful beaches.
- Palmetto Bluff 127
- Hampton Lake 79
- Callawassie Island 77
- Haig Point 70
- Colleton 68
- Hampton Hall 67
- Oldfield 64
- Dataw Island 60
- Belfair 60
- Ridgeland 54
- Berkeley Hall I & II 49
- Ocean Palms Villa Sh 47
- Moss Creek 45
- Hardeeville 43
- Palmetto Hall Plantation 42
- Boatslip Wh 42
- Long Cove 37
- Jasper 28
- Mill Creek At Cypress Ridge 27
- Hilton Head Lakes/Tradition 27